Wednesday, September 28, 2005

If you live in Utah, odds are you've seen my latest billboard campaign. In fact, you may have even seen it in the news. It's being termed "controversial" and "provacative." Basically, it's an awareness tease/reveal campaign for a peer-to-peer mentoring program for Jr. High kids facing a variety of life challenges. In short, it's a very worthwhile organization. The client is absolutely great, as they've stuck to their guns through this media debacle regarding the billboards in question. In a nutshell, the campaign showcases certain labels which are common in most Jr. Highs throughout America. These labels aren't pleasant, but that's the point. The intention was to post these words on billboards to make people uncomfortable, and ultimately to earn their interest in the program, once it is revealed.

Now, I could write a book on all the calls I've received since this campaign launched. One in particular made me laugh.

So, I'm sitting there at my desk when I get a phone call. I pick up, and the following conversation happens:

Me: Hi, this is Steve.

Angry Lady: Yes, I'm calling because you put a billboard that says, "Ghetto" on top of my trailor.

Me: *Trying to keep Hawaiian Punch from coming out my nose*

Angry Lady: And I want it removed immediately or else I'll get my neighbors to file a class action lawsuit.

Me: Ma'am, I can assure you, the billboard is not, in fact, on your trailor.



The conversation continued, and I eventually investigated. I stood corrected.

4 Comments:

Blogger More Caffiene, Please said...

As you would say, this is funnier than 10 funny things. I was reading about this in the Tribune and told Chad I that only in Utah would people react this way. These are the same people who don't let their kids say "fart" or "poo."

11:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally blogged about this blog on your blog. Totally.

11:40 PM

 
Blogger La Yen said...

Do you use queerbait? Because that is the one I heard a lot in my class of 10th graders. You should put queerbait in over one of those drive through coffee huts.

9:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's comic timing

5:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home