Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I just turned my life completely upside down.

Last week, I arrived bright and early at LAX to board a flight back to Salt Lake City to close on our home that afternoon. Instead, I was met with a message telling me my flight had been cancelled. Three hours later. New flight. Also cancelled. At this point, I called Hailey to ask about rescheduling our closing time to later that day. She called. No dice.

Six hours later, I got on a flight destined for the great Salt Lake. I touched down approximately 12 minutes before our closing time. Thanks to my lead-foot friend, Mark I made it. Nice drivin' Mark.

Next day. Moving company showed up and took all of our stuff. Only needed 1/4 of the truck. We were left with an empty feeling and an empty heart. And, thankfully, a blow-up mattress.

Next day. We set off into the rising sun down I-80. What was supposed to be a simple 7-hour drive turned into a 10+ hour drive from the underworld. Three hailstorms, seven construction zones, one flaming semi truck and two temper tantrums later, we arrived in the dead of night in Colorado.

The night before, I had confirmed a stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Lafayette, CO via the web. As I followed the directions that were given me I couldn't help but feel a sudden sense of skepticism. When I reached the distination, I looked up to see the motel. Instead, I saw some cows, fields and a couple vintage broken down tractors.

I called.

HOLIDAY INN GUY: Hello, thanks for calling Holiday Inn Express. How may I help you?

ME: Yeah, I'm trying to find you. I followed the map and can't see you anywhere.

HOLIDAY INN GUY: First off, what state are you in?

*heart sank*

ME: Colorado.

HOLIDAY INN GUY: Sir, we're in Lafayette, Indiana.

ME: Indiana?

At that moment, I looked over to my dear wife who was listening in from the passenger seat to see one of the most depressed and irritated expressions ever. Fortunately, the guy cancelled my reservation without any penalties on account of the fact that it was an error on their website. Unfortunatley, he couldn't be of any assistance in helping me find a new place to stay that night. It was too late to stop and ask for help as everything was closed. Eventually, we found something.

We crashed.

The next day, I awoke to my daughter singing "Happy Birthday" to me. Unfortunately, it was that singing that reminded Hailey of the occasion. She was forgiven instantly. Bless her black and blue heart.

But I'm happy to report that we finally closed on our new home and moved in. I use that term lightly as most of our stuff is still in the garage.

But, we made it.

I only wish I was able to be there to help Hailey and the kids get settled in. Instead, I'm back out in LA shooting TV commercials. Meanwhile, Hailey is dating the mailman.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~j. said...

Eeek. Before you do anymore road trips, ask me for some advice. Yikes. It may be pathetic that I know that one Lafayette resides off of I-65 and one off of I-25, but I know it.

pathetic.

Glad you are all together now.

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Carina said...

Hailey is a saint.

1:15 AM

 
Blogger dougford said...

capn... happy belated bday from df

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home