Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Riddle me this.

A savvy individual at my place of employment continues to use the phrase, "out of pocket" as a way to explain that he'll be out of the office for a few days.

Savvy Individual: Hey Steve, I'll be out of pocket this week. I'm going to DC.

Me: Pocket?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the phrase in question reserved for the sole purpose of explaining that ones personal money will be used as opposed to company funds? It's simply a way to say, "I'll be paying for this out of my own pocket," right? I realize my Idaho upbringing disqualifies me from using or understanding business buzz phrases, but I must seek emotional restitution in this matter.

In the meantime, I'll continue developing fully integrated, turn-key solutions that have all their ducks in a row are built from the ground up.

6 Comments:

Blogger More Caffiene, Please said...

Why don't you tell him you're going to be down the hatch while he's out of pocket?

8:00 AM

 
Blogger ~j. said...

Savvy? I think not. Don't blame the Idaho, Steve...you're right.

My husband works with a guy who says things like this:

Confusement
Peripheal (peripheral)
Strategery
Diabolicness
Racially Reflectus (reflective - it's a multi-cultural student services office)
Third-World Planet

I think he moonlights as a speech writer for President Bush.

11:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love Strategery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategery

2:08 PM

 
Blogger Spinch said...

You forgot to mention that the turnkey services will also be synergized, and that developing them will be part of the company's Best Practices.

12:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had the same exact reaction to the same exact term.

out of pocket = pay with your own funds

OR, a drumming term.

i could tell you the rest, but i think i'd rather discuss offline.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger C. Jane Kendrick said...

This is fodder for "The Office."

Am I right or am I right?

10:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home